Activision and Sledgehammer Games have officially announced Call of Duty: World War II! Taking the series back to the roots, players who pre-order can get hands on a multiplayer beta later this year followed by the game’s launch on November 3rd for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.
A host of content has been revealed today, including an official trailer, behind the scenes look, screenshots and details. Check it all out below…
- The single-player campaign focuses on U.S Army private Ronald “Red” Daniels and his division’s fight through the European theater. The character is based on Glen Schofield’s (SHG co-founder) father who passed away during production. The player is surrounded by two surrogate father figures, Sgt. Pearson and Lt. Turner, who have conflicting personalities – Pearson is focussed on winning the mission even if it means the loss of his men while Turner values a soldier’s life above all else.
- The studio has focussed on telling a personal and authentic story during the later years of the war.
- There are no ‘big names’ like Kevin Spacey to distract from the authenticity – Josh Duhamel, Jonathan Tucker and Jeffery Pierce are confirmed to have joined the cast.
- There will be moments where players see the war from a different perspective. For instance, there is one moment where players take control of a woman from the French Resistance during the liberation of Paris.
- Complete opposite of Advanced Warfare’s ‘super soldier’ – more vulnerable and inexperienced.
- Healing and gaining ammo doesn’t automatically happen – players have to call on their squadmates to get health kits, ammo and covering fire.
- The story primarily takes place between 1944-1945 with some references to the events that took place between 1940-1944.
- Location highlights include the Invasion of Normandy, liberated Paris and the Battle of the Bulge.
- Social issues will be touched on, such as racism, religious persecution and sexism.
- Two campaign missions have been revealed today: Hurtgen Forest and Normandy –
- Hurtgen Forest takes players to an old-growth forest on the German border. The German Army uses tree burst bombs to shower allied forces with wooden shrapnel.
- The first mission of the game, Normandy is based on the historical battle where players will storm Omaha Beach while spearheading the allied invasion. The mission is described as a ‘visceral audiovisual experience unlike any D-Day landing experienced in a game to date’. Features close-quarters combats in the trenches and a tussle which leads to an enemy soldier being beaten to death by a helmet.
- Nazi Zombies co-op mode confirmed (image under Screenshots) – features a unique storyline set during World War II and adrenaline-pumping action
- Multiplayer will be revealed at E3 in June, although the following has been revealed today –
- War – This narrative-driven mode brings a gripping new layer of excitement to Axis vs. Allies team play. Asymmetrical maps and each team has unique objectives.
- Divisions – A new approach to Create-a-Class and character customization as you enlist in a division and progress through the ranks. The division you enlist in helps to determine your class, gear and role.
- Headquarters – A brand-new, social feature for Call of Duty, where you rally and interact with your fellow soldiers (image under Screenshots). The idea is to provide a social space where players can hang out in between matches. Will include picking up rewards, connecting with players and showing off characters.
- Pre-order today for access to the Private Beta
- Three editions have been announced –
- Base Edition with game (SRP $59.99)
- Digital Deluxe Edition with game, Season Pass and more (SRP $99.99)
- Pro Edition with game, collectible steelbook, Season Pass and more (SRP $99.99)
“Over two years in the making, Sledgehammer Games delivers a gritty, personal experience in the setting of the largest worldwide conflict in history to a new gaming generation in Call of Duty®: WWII. Play through the story of ordinary men turned soldiers in the 1st Infantry Division as they fight to preserve freedom in the face of tyranny. Call of Duty: WWII delivers fast-paced, boots-on-ground combat through iconic locations in the European Theater.”
Behind the Scenes Trailer:
Stream (On Demand):