Activision have today detailed the Infinite Warfare beta content to prep us for its arrival next week. The four-day long multiplayer beta kicks off first on PlayStation 4 next Friday and Xbox One players can join the action the following week. Access is granted via pre-orders from select retailers and a PC beta is not planned.
As for what will be included, players will have a chance to try out a host of maps, modes, Combat Rigs and new features. Here’s a rundown…
Players will be able to take three different maps for a spin:
- FRONTIER – Circular, two-lane, fast-paced
“Frontier is a small section of a giant space station that is in orbit around the planet Neptune. The action is funneled down a long, central corridor with side paths offering an element of strategy and a constricted lower lane for players craving chaos.”
- FROST – Linear, three-lane, medium-paced
“A research facility set atop the icy surface of Jupiter’s moon Europa. Ample opportunities for vertical combat and rapid encounters around sleek modular elements highlight this frozen battleground.”
- THROWBACK – Bent, three-lane, medium-paced
“This throwback 1950’s ‘Main Street USA’ locale sits on a giant, rotating, torus-shaped space station. A large circular lane rings the perimeter, while a large center square with multiple avenues of approach and two opposing windows offers a wide range of engagement opportunities.”
Alongside some well known favourites, the beta will feature the new Defender mode:
- TEAM DEATHMATCH
- KILL CONFIRMED
- DEFENDER – High-stakes game of ‘keep away’
“Your team must grab a drone and defend it, gaining points while holding on and keeping it out of enemy hands. Teamwork is essential here in order to make sure your points add up until the drone resets and the cycle starts again.”
A big new feature to Call of Duty multiplayer, Combat Rig allows players to choose a character that suits their playstyle best. Rigs come with three Payloads and three Trait but players have to choose one for each. Payloads are weapons or abilities that can be activated mid-game when earned while Traits are passive abilities that open up new gameplay opportunies. Players can change their Combat Rigs mid-game, providing them with a new way to shake up the battlefield.
Here are 3 of the 6 Rigs that will be playable in the beta:
- WARFIGHTER – “Designed for a mid-range assault-style player, equip the Warfighter rig to support the team by getting fast kills, quickly getting to an objective, and always being on the offensive.”
- Claw Powerful spread-shot weapon. Fires bullets that can ricochet around corners.
- Combat Focus Allows you to get double points for a limited time, getting you to that scorestreak even faster.
- Overdrive Gives you a speed boost.
- Ping Kills and assists send a ping that highlights nearby enemies.
- Persistence Scorestreak counts don’t reset after death, but cost more.
- Resupply Lethals and tacticals can be resupplied by scavenging supplies from downed foes.
- MERC – “This imposing suit is equipped with payload options designed to clear enemy threats quickly and with authority. Its focus is heavy defense and suppressive fire.”
- Steel Dragon Heavy beam weapon that can target multiple enemies.
- Bull Charge Armored riot shield that destroys enemies as you charge.
- Reactive Armor Electromagnetically charged armor that shields you from enemy fire.
- Infusion When triggered, regenerates health quickly after taking damage.
- Man-At-Arms Heavy weapons won’t slow you down, and you start with maximum ammo.
- Shock Wave Slam yourself into the ground and enemies with this devastating jump.
- SYNAPTIC – “A C6 Class remote-operated droid optimized for speed and close quarters combat.”
- Equalizer Dual under-arm machine guns with built-in suppressors for close quarters combat.
- Rewind Rewinds your position and replenishes health and ammo.
- Reaper Switches you into four-legged, rapid melee combat mode.
- Combat Burst After each kill, gain a boost of movement speed.
- Propulsion Jump pack that recharges quickly and allows you to damage enemies underneath you with the blast from the jump pack.
- Rushdown Allows you to dash in any horizontal direction.
Mission Teams is one of the new features coming to Infinite Warfare and will be available in the beta.
With Mission Teams, players will earn a team rank for completing missions while in a team. Players will be able to assume the role of a team Commander and thus assign missions to players as well as comment on their success or failure. Rewards include calling cards, camos, emblems, unique Rig cosmetics and specific prototype weapons only available from the specific team. Two of the four missions will be featured in the beta and players will be able to join the aggressive JTF Wolverines team from the start. As you progress through the beta, you will then be able to join the Orion Initiative who favour organised strategy in objective missions.
The beta will also include a range of other content, such as weapons, lethal grenades, Scorestreaks and more.